INFINITIVES AND GERUNDS

 

WORDWALL GAME

https://wordwall.net/es/resource/3731103/gerund-or-infinitive


 Infinitives and Gerunds


GERUNDIO.  ING FORM

1.    Detrás de una preposición
 I watched TV after doing the washing up.

2.     Como sujeto u objeto

Living in Spain is great!
They love painting

3.     Para expresar prohibiciones cortas
No smoking

4.     Detrás de ciertos verbos:
avoid - practise - enjoy- finish - imagine - dislike - suggest – don’t mind - recommend- be used to- get used to - give up -keep on - look forward to - carry on  - put off  - go on …

Imagine living in a world of peace
They got used to driving on the left.

Go on talking, I’m listening

5.    Con expresiones como:

·         it´s (not) worth,( merecer la pena)

·         it’s no use ( no servir de nada)
It’s no use talking to her, she won’t listen/It’s  worth trying

·         can´t help (no poder evitar)

        He can’t help being in love.

·         can´t stand ( no soportar)

         He can’t stand living in England because of the cold

TO + INFINITIVO:

1.Detrás de adjetivos y adverbios.
 
It´s interesting to learn languages

He ran too slowly to win.

Detrás de it is/ was +adjetivo + of+ sustantivo/pronombre
 It was very kind of you to help the old lady

Detrás de adjetivo+for+objeto

It was very difficult for us to find out the truth

He is old enough to watch that film


2. Detrás de nombres y pronombres

I gave him money to buy sweets

 I have got many things to do

You need somebody to love

3
. Detrás de pronombres interrogativos (excepto why)

I didn´t know what to say / Why do it now?

4. Detrás de ciertos verbos:
would like- want- decide- need- afford - plan - offer -hope - agree - attempt - arrange - promise - refuse - seem - intend - manage  -  learn  …

I agreed to lend her some money

 I can’t afford to pay that house

He attempted to reach it.

Cuando el verbo va seguido de un objeto (verbo+objeto+infinitivo)
ask -expect -would prefer -help -invite -order- persuade -tell- want -warn -would like …

I want him to go
I asked Mary to come to the party


INFINITIVO (sin to) Bare infinitive


1.Detras de make and  let  ( pero infinitivo con to en voz pasiva), help (con “to” o sin to) y las expressions had better(sería mejor) y would rather( preferiría)

She let me play my music 

He made her laugh

He helped me do/ to do it

 I’d better go now

I would rather stay

2. Detrás de los verbos modales: can, could, must, should, would, may, might, …
 Can you help me do the exercises?

They could find the way

You should visit her …
3. Detrás de verbos de percepción (SEE, HEAR, FEEL, SMELL, WATCH)

Estos verbos pueden ir seguidos de objeto

 + Infinitivo sin to o de objeto +ing con un

 pequeño cambio de significado

I saw him climb the tree (I saw all the process)

I saw him climbing the tree (I saw only part of the process)



VERBOS SEGUIDOS DE INFINITIVO O GERUNDIO sin cambio de significado o con pequeño cambio de significado

 Verbs which have to do with likes and dislikes are commonly followed by a gerund : Love, like, dislike, hate, prefer, enjoy


Exception: to infinitive is preferred for particular ocassions

Examples

I like going to parties (general statement)

 I like to go to the dentist once a year (particular occasion; I don’t really like it but I think it’s a good idea)

Start, begin: can be followed by gerund or infinitive


VERBOS SEGUIDOS DE INFINITIVO O GERUNDIO con cambio de significado
remember - regret - mean- forget - stop - try
El significado de estos verbos cambia en función de que les sigan infinitivos o gerundios.

1. FORGET + TO + INF= se refiere a acciones futuras
Don´t forget to feed the cat
FORGET + GERUNDIO se refiere al pasado
 Has he forgotten saying that?
2. REGRET TO + INF se refiere al presente o al futuro
We regret to give you such bad news
REGRET + GERUNDIO se refiere al pasado
 She doesn´t regret lying to us (Ella no se arrepiente de habernos mentido)
3. REMEMBER + to +INFINITIVO: se refiere a una acción en el futuro.

 Before you go to bed, remember to switch off the TV
REMEMBER + GERUNDIO: se refiere al pasado
I remember telling him before ( Recuerdo haberselo dicho antes)
4.
STOP + INFINITIVO: dejar de a hacer algo para hacer una cosa distinta. El infinitivo introduce la nueva acción.
We stopped the car to buy some magazines
STOP + GERUNDIO : simplemente dejar de hacer una acción
She stopped crying


5.
TRY + TO + INFINITIVO: intentar,  hacer algo con un esfuerzo. (Implica algo difícil)
Try to push the door with both hands
TRY + GERUNDIO:  experimentar, probar algo
Try studying a little harder to pass your exam

 (Prueba a estudiar un poco más…)

Compare:

He is trying to lose weight. Está intentando perder peso. (Es difícil)

Try eating fewer carbohydrates to lose weight. 

Prueba a comer menos hidratos de carbono

 para perder peso.

Comentarios