RELATIVE CLAUSES AND PREPOSITIONS

 Relative Clauses and Preposition Use



Relative clauses and prepositions
In formal English prepositions can come before the relative pronoun. However, it much more common to place prepositions at the end of the relative clause, especially in informal spoken English.
Defining Relative Clauses:  relative as a complement
Person
whom
who
Ø
Object
which
Ø
Whom is formal and most often used when writing. Who is not possible after  a preposition.
Examples: The banker to whom I gave my check was quite friendly. - formal
The banker whom/ who I gave my check to was quite friendly
The woman I talked to was very pleasant indeed. - informal
The book which I received for my birthday was excellent. - formal
The car he drove was really fast. - informal
Non-Defining Relative Clauses: relative as a complement
Person
whom
who
Object
which

Examples: The bank manager, to whom he addressed his complaints, was very unhelpful. - formal.
The local branch manager, who I talked to about my problems, was very helpful. - informal


Comentarios