CONDITIONAL CLAUSES THEORY


If clause
Main clause
EXAMPLES









If + present


Future Simple



Imperative



Present Simple
(Zero conditional: facts, general truths)


Modal (Present): 

can, may, must, should + infinitive




If you study, you will pass.



If you go to London, bring me a souvenir





If you sit on the sun, you get sunburnt


 If you try hard, you can get better









If + Past Simple (2)
would+ infinitive

Modal Past: could or might + infinitive
If I were you, I would tell her the truth.


If I had more money, I could/might buy a car.


If + Past Perfect
(3)

would have+ past participle

 
could or might have+ past participle


If I had known she was ill, I would have visited her.


If you had followed a diet, you could/might have lost weight. 





VARIATIONS OF THE IF-CLAUSE
1.  IF +Present continuous and present perfect are also possible in 1st type conditionals
  1. IF + Past continuous OR PAST PERFECT  can also be used in 2nd type conditionals.
If he had taken my advice, he would be a rich man now. (A combination of types 2 and 3 )

3. IF + Past perfect continuous can also be used in 3rd type conditionals. 


1st. CONDITIONAL is used :
To talk about the future, or about facts or situations which are or can be true in the present and future.
2nd. CONDITIONAL is used:
To express hypothetical or imaginary situations .
3rd. CONDITIONAL is used:
To refer to the past, reason why the actions did not happen and cannot happen any more.
CONDITIONAL LINKERS
If is the most common linker used in conditional clauses, but there are others:
Even if is used to emphasize the conditional clause
In case: por si
Take an umbrella in case it rains.
Unless = If ..not (1st type conditional)
As long as = Only if ( 1st type conditional)
Providing / Provided that = Only if ( 1st type conditional)
On condition that= Only if ( 1st type conditional)

ALTERNATIVE STRUCTURES
I wish / If only (Ojalá).

I wish + Past Simple or Continuous
When we want something to be different in the present.

I wish + Past Perf.
To express regret for something we did in the past.

I wish + Conditional Simple
To complain about something in the present.



If only is used to show more emphasis than I wish

Comentarios