PRESENT PERFECT AND SIMPLE PAST

 Muchas gracias a mi compañera  Sole Montes.

PRESENT PERFECT
 

MEANINGS
*The action in the past has a result now: ‘Where is your key?’ ‘I don’t know. I’ve lost it’
*We talk about a period of time that continues from the past until now: ‘Have you travelled a lot’ ‘Yes, I have’
*We talk about past experiences, without saying wxactly when they took place: 'I've been to Ireland', 'Have you ever worn a suit?'
 
TIME EXPRESSIONS
 
*EVER ... Questions: Have you ever been to China?
Affirmative: What a boring film! It’s the most boring film I’ve ever seen.
*JUST ... (a short time ago)
Affirmative: ‘Would you like something to eat?’ ‘No, thanks. I’ve just had lunch’
Questions: Hello. Have you just arrived?
*ALREADY .... (something happened sooner than expected)
Affirmative: ‘Don’t forget to post the letter, will you?’ ‘I’ve already posted it’

*NEVER
Affirmative: I’ve never read Shakespeare’s plays
*YET
Negative: I’ve written the e-mail but I haven’t sent it yet.
Questions: Has it stopped raining yet?
*FOR  (Simple past is also possible)
... fifteen years; two weeks; ages; a long time; Christmas day: ‘It’s nice to see you again. We haven’t seen each other for a long time’. ‘It’s a lovely meal. It’s the first good meal I’ve had for ages’. ‘Liza hasn’t phoned me for two weeks’ (the last time she phoned was two weeks ago)
*SINCE ... breakfast; summer; Christmas; last May; last week/month/year; 2008; I was five; Tuesday; April; 2.30 p.m.; this morning: ‘I’m hungry. I haven’t eaten anything since breakfast’ ‘I haven’t seen Marie since Sunday’ (=Sunday was the last time I saw her)
*THIS MORNING/YEAR/TERM: ‘I haven’t seen him this morning. Have you?’ ‘Have you had a holiday this year (yet)?’ ‘Susan hasn’t
worked very hard this term’.
*TODAY: I’ve drunk four cups of coffee today. (Perhaps I’ll drink before today is finished)
*BEFORE: ‘Sara has never driven a car before’
*RECENTLY /’ri:sntli/: ‘Have you ever heard from Daniel recently’
*SO FAR: ‘Everything is going well. We haven’t had any problems so far’.
*IN THE LAST FEW DAYS: ‘I’ve met a lot of people in the last few days’.

*HAVE GONE = HAVE BEEN
‘Christian is not here. He’s gone to the bank (he is there now or on his way there)
‘Hello, Christian! Where have you been?’ ‘I’ve been to the bank’ (he has now come back from the bank)
*LIVE, WORK .... 
‘Susan lives in London. She has lived / has been living in London for 7 years’.
‘How long have you worked / have you been working here?

*PAST SIMPLE (went) or PRESENT PERFECT (have / has gone)
1) Where ............ you born?
a. were
b. have
c. are
d. did
2) A: Where ....................... that jacket? B: In that new clothes shop in Piazza Kennedy.
a. have you bought
b.
did you buy
3) How long .................. your best friend?
a. do you know
b. did you know
c. have you known
4) A: I lived in Milan when I was younger. B: Really? How long ........................ there?
a. did you live
b. have you lived
c. lived you
5) Gladstone ............... the Prime Minister of Great Britain 5 times during the reign of Queen Victoria.
a. has been
b. had been
c. was
6) My grandmother, who died five years ago, .............. abroad.
a. was never going
b. never went
c. has never been
7) A: Would you like a coffee? B: No thanks. ..................... one.
a. I just had
b. I've just had
c. I was just having
8) J.K. Rowling's "Harry Potter" books .................... in many countries.
a. have been published
b. were published
c. had been published
9) Many of Dickens's novels .................... in monthly magazines.
a. were first published
b. have been first published
c. had been first published
10) (At 10.30 a.m.) .................. Julie this morning?
a. Did you see
b. Have you seen
c. Had you seen
11) (at 4.30 p.m.) .................... Julie this morning?
a. Did you see
b. Have you seen
12) Oh no! ...................... my keys!
a. I've lost
b. I lost13) .................. my keys last week.
a. I've lost
b.I lost
14) ................... to the cinema yesterday.
I went
I've been
I've gone

Comentarios