REPHRASING FOR 2º BACHILLERATO WITH ANSWERS



REPHRASING FOR 2º BACHILLERATO WITH ANSWERS

REPHRASING FOR PAU EXAM
SOLUTIONS: REPHRASING FOR PAU EXAM
  1. She started drinking too much alcohol two years ago. (Verbal Tenses)
- She has been drinking too much alcohol for two years.
  1. I don’t have a computer so I can’t type the essay on English grammar. (Conditional Sentence)
- If I had a computer, I would be able to type the essay on English grammar.
  1. Despite having been vaccinated she caught the flu. (Contrast Connector)
- Although she had been vaccinated, she caught flu.
  1. We will arrest them for illegal entry in the country”, the policeman said. (Reported Speech)
- The policeman said that they would arrest them for illegal entry in the country.
  1. The teacher glued the pieces of the broken toy. (Passive)
- The pieces of the broken toy were glued by the teacher.
  1. It is possible that I finish work earlier than usual today. (Modal verb)
- I may finish work earlier than usual today.
  1. This is the place. We last had coffee together here. (Relative Clauses)
- This is where we last had coffee together.
  1. I love German. Unfortunately, I can’t speak it fluently. (Wish)
- I wish I could speak German fluently.
  1. As he hadn’t behaved himself, his parents got angry with him. (Causal Connector)
- His parents got angry with him because he hadn’t behaved himself.
  1. Everybody must read the instructions first. (Passive)
- The instructions must be read first.
  1. He made an effort to speak in English. (Gerund/Infinitive)
- He tried to speak in English.
  1. I spent my holidays in France. (Question)
- Where did you spend your holidays?                                                                                            
  1. This is the man. His job is very dangerous. (Relative Clauses)
- This is the man whose job is very dangerous.
  1. The engineer has repaired my television. (Have sth. Done)
- I’ve had my television repaired (by the engineer)
  1. She gave up going to French lessons. (Gerund/ Infinitive)
- She stopped going to French lessons.
  1. I regretted having hit the dog on the head. (Wish)
- I wish I hadn’t hit the dog on the head.
  1. I’m not as good at English as you are. (Comparatives)
- You are better at English than me.
  1. The policeman knew where the thief was hidden. (Question)
- Who knew where the thief was hidden?                                                                                                
  1. If your friend doesn’t come before ten, he will miss the train. (Conditionals)
- Unless your friend comes before ten, he will miss the train.
  1. The children stayed at home because it was raining. (Causal Connector)
- As it was raining, the children stayed at home.
  1. What time do the banks close today?” (Reported Speech)
- Tim asked me what time the banks closed that day.
  1. Sharon hasn’t eaten junk food since last May. (Gerund/Infinitive)
- Sharon stopped eating junk food last May.
  1. My kitchen is being redecorated at the moment. (Have sth. Done)
- I am having my kitchen redecorated at the moment.
  1. I am not sure that she is his girlfriend. (Modal Verb)
- She might be his girlfriend.
  1. Albert’s drawing isn’t as good as Gerard’s. (Comparatives)
- Gerard’s drawing is better than Albert’s drawing.
  1. Why don’t we play computer games?” said Michael. (Reported Speech)
- Michael suggested playing computer games.
  1. She said: “Are you coming to the party on Friday?” (Reported Speech)
- She asked him if he was coming to the party on Friday.
  1. They came to live in New York two years ago. (Verbal Tenses)
- They have been living in New York for two years.
  1. Smoking is forbidden in hospitals. (Modal Verb)
- You mustn’t smoke in hospitals.
  1. Although the weather was horrible, we went skiing. (Contrast Connectors)
- In spite of the horrible weather, we went skiing.
  1. I would like to have more free time these days. (Wish)
- I wish I had more free time these days.
  1. I met that famous writer a year ago. (Verbal Tenses)
- It’s been a year since I met that famous writer.
  1. Wendy didn’t study for her test. Therefore, she failed. (Conditionals)
- If Wendy had studied for her test, she wouldn’t have failed.
  1. Don’t speak so loud, please”, she said to the students. (Reported Speech)
- She ordered / begged / asked the students not to speak so loud.
  1. We won’t buy that house because we don’t have enough money. (Causal Connectors)
- As we don’t have enough money, we won’t buy that house.
  1. That man’s brother is my new English teacher. (Relative Clauses)
- That is the man whose brother is my new English teacher.
  1. Steve advised me to tell Paul about it. (Gerund/Infinitive)
- Steve suggested telling Paul about it.
  1. I didn’t make a note of it in my diary, so I forgot about it. (Conditional Clauses)
- If I had made a note of it in my diary, I wouldn’t have forgotten about it.
  1. She lost the race in spite of running well. (Contrast Clauses)
- Although she ran well, she lost the race.
  1. It’s possible that her boyfriend is coming to the wedding. (Modal Verbs)
- Her boyfriend may come to the wedding.
  1. Beth hasn’t smoked since last December. (Gerund/Infinitive)
- Beth stopped smoking last December.
  1. My new neighbours have got a baby. Her name is Wendy. (Relative Clauses)
- My new neighbours have got a baby whose name is Wendy.
  1. Although Orson was over seventy, he continued to cycle to work every day. (Contrast Connector)
- Despite being over seventy, Orson continued to cycle to work every day.
  1. I haven’t read a play by George Bernard Shaw for eight years. (Verbal Tenses)
- It is eight years since I read a play by George Bernard Shaw.
  1. Perhaps it would be better to go out in the afternoon”, Sharon’s mother said. (Reported Speech)
- Sharon’s mother recommended going out in the afternoon.
  1. The fireman managed to rescue the child from the burning house. (Modal Verbs)
- The fireman was able to rescue the child from the burning house.
  1. The police don’t oblige the suspects to say anything. (Passive)
- The suspects aren’t obliged to say anything by the police.
  1. My grandfather is eighty-two years old. (Question)
- How old is your grandfather?                                                                                                   
  1. She hasn’t enjoyed herself so much for years. (Verbal Tenses)
- It is years since she enjoyed herself so much.
  1. I am going to the theatre tomorrow, and I’m really looking forward to it. (Modal Verbs)
- I’m really looking forward to going to the theatre tomorrow.
  1. She’s getting someone to mend the windows. (Have sth. Done)
- She’s having the windows mended.
  1. I thought it would be better than that. (Comparatives)
- It’s not as good as I thought it would be.
  1. Mary said to us “Don’t be late.” (Reported Speech)
- She told us not to be late.
  1. She made a lot of mistakes because she didn’t study hard for the exam. (Conditionals)
- If she had studied hard for the exam, she wouldn’t have made a lot of mistakes.
  1. Her jokes are not as good as his. (Comparatives)
- His jokes are better than hers.
  1. It is possible that we’ll be together soon. (Modal Verbs)
- We may be together soon.
  1. People speak English all over the world. (Passive)
- English is spoken all over the world.
  1. I am sorry I didn’t tell him everything. (Wish)
- I wish I had told him everything.
  1. Fiona is smiling in the picture. She is my boss. (Relative Clauses)
- Fiona, who is my boss, is smiling in the picture.
  1. Despite the fact that it was very hot, she was wearing her winter clothes. (Contrast Clauses)
- Although it was very hot, she was wearing her winter clothes.
  1. I was not invited and I am sorry about that.  (Gerund/Infinitive)
- I would like to have been invited.
  1. I am having my house painted now. (Passive)
- My house is being painted now.
  1. I’m sorry I haven’t got a car. (Wish)
- I wish I had got a car.
  1. The teacher said to me “Wait for me outside”. (Reported Speech)
- The teacher told me to wait for him outside.
  1. She needed a job, so she sent off an application form. (Causal Connector)
- She sent off an application form , because she needed a job.
  1. It takes me two hours to get there. (Question)
- How long does it take you to get there?                                                                          
  1. The last time she wrote a poem was two years ago. (Verbal Tenses)
- She hasn’t written a poem for two years.
  1. You must not smoke in here. (Modal Verb)
- Smoking is forbidden here.
  1. If the tickets don’t arrive, we won’t be able to go. (Conditional Clauses)
- Unless the tickets arrive, we won’t be able to go.
  1. Where are my keys? (Question)
I wonder where my keys are.
  1. The mechanic is going to repair her car next week. (Have sth. Done)
- She is going to have her car repaired next week (by the mechanic).
  1. What a pity I didn’t have time to see you last week. (Wish)
- I wish I had had time to see you last week.
  1. This story will shock you. (Passive)
- You will be shocked by this story.
  1. Will you post this letter for me, please? (Gerund/Infinitive)
- Do you mind posting this letter for me, please?
  1. If you don’t review your notes tonight, you won’t do well tomorrow. (Conditionals)
- Unless you review your notes tonight, you won’t do well tomorrow.
  1. How much money have you put into the account?”  they asked. (Reported Speech)
- They asked me how much money I had put into the account.
  1. I’m sorry I can’t speak French perfectly.  (Wish)
- I wish I could speak French perfectly.
  1. The next plane leaves at 9.45 p.m.. (Question)
- What time does the next plane leave?                                                                                             
  1. You should post these letters. (Passive)
- These letters should be posted.
  1. Although she was ill, she visited other countries. (Contrast Connector)
- Despite being ill, she visited other countries.
  1. I have never seen anything so beautiful”, he said. (Reported Speech)
- He said that he had never seen anything so beautiful.
  1. Mary was sorry she ate so many cakes. (Wish)
- Mary wished she hadn’t eaten so many cakes.
  1. I have failed all my exams at the university because I didn’t study enough. (Conditionals)
- If I had studied enough, I wouldn’t have failed all my exams at the university.
  1. I forgot to phone Lisa on her birthday. (Gerund/Infinitive)
- I didn’t remember
  1. Sheila is 1.55 m tall. Her brother is 1.70 m tall. (Comparatives)
- Sheila is less tall than her brother.
  1. Although it was cold, we went to the countryside. (Contrast Connector)
- In spite of being cold, we went to the countryside.
  1. The hairdresser cut my hair yesterday morning. (Have sth. Done)
- I had my hair cut yesterday morning.
  1. This is the man. His dog bit my brother in the park. (Relative Clauses)
- This is the man whose dog bit my brother in the park.
  1. I didn’t go to the gym yesterday because my foot hurt. (Conditionals)
- If my foot hadn’t hurt, I would have gone to the gym.
  1. The teacher said: “You have to hand your papers in at the end of this class”. (Reported Speech)
- The teacher said that we had to hand our papers in at the end of that class.

Comentarios